Attract Butterflies

It seems there were many more butterflies in my youth than now. What has happened to them? Have they had similar collapses as the honey bees? I see at least one butterfly each time I go outside, but there really should be more, don't you think?
Butterfly on a zinnia
I know the basics of how to attract butterflies, but thought I'd see if I can do even more than just planting some of the flowers they like.
Monarch on a zinnia
The Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center has a nice interactive map that shows what flowers will attract butterflies in your area; just click on your state on this map. Butterflies are attracted to flowers by the amount of ultraviolet reflection they emit. I have the best luck with bright zinnias, butterfly bush and marigolds.

Hanging Butterfly Feeder
courtesy of "Home Science Tools"
Did you know you can feed butterflies? One solution is 10% sugar-water solution (1 part sugar to 10 parts water), and add a pinch of multivitamins from a children's vitamin capsule. Or, use Gatorade with a little sugar added—about 1/2 teaspoon per cup. Here's an easy DIY butterfly feeder to hang off a tree branch.

I thought this was a pretty feeder.
Courtesy of Duncraft
They also have a nectar recipe
Flutter by,
Butterfly,
Floating flower
in the sky.
Kiss me with your
Petal wings

Whisper secrets,
Tell of spring.
Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. That is such a nice blog and wonderful thoughts to fill my head with optimism and good thoughts. Thank you Nancy!! I sure hope there are no problems with butterflies like the bees!!! Keep on bloggin' :O )

    ReplyDelete